Thursday, January 8, 2009

Red Curry Shrimp

These are incredibly simple appetizers that look fancy, but don't take much effort.  I used Thai Kitchen brand curry paste, and it made them really spicy, so if you don't have a high tolerance for hot food, cut back on that a little bit! (My husband and I didn't think they were spicy at all because we've been putting hot sauce on EVERYTHING - in preparation for the food in Thailand -- but my sister said they were way too spicy!)

I found some fresh Thai basil in our local Asian market, but regular basil would be fine too. 
The medium shrimp I used is 26-30 count per pound.

(from Gourmet Magazine, December 2008)
24 uncooked medium shrimp (peeled, tails on)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp red curry paste
24 large Thai basil leaves

Preheat the broiler.
Stir together vegetable oil and curry paste in a large bowl, then stir in shrimp and coat well.
Arrange shrimp on a baking pan and put under the boiler for 2-3 minutes, until just cooked.
Thread onto wood skewers with a basil leaf.  
Serve warm or at room temperature.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Love this idea and the presentation is killer!

Maria said...

Shrimp with a kick, I like it!

Ellie said...

My husband loves red curry! We are definitely going to have to try this one out. It looks amazing!

That Girl said...

I love that you prep for your trip by eating spicy foods!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great flavor for shrimp!!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

That looks so simple & delicous!

Anonymous said...

These look so YUMMY and I LOVE the presentation!

Jaime said...

i love thai and i love basil :) great app idea