Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Chinatown



In order to get to Pahurat from our hostel, we had to take the subway, then walk about a mile through Chinatown. It was a great chance to take some more pictures!

There were dozens of people painting gold symbols on red paper for Chinese New Year...
then hanging them up to dry.
Stall after stall had decorations...
And of course, the usual food vendors were lining the streets.  More plastic bags!
Dozens of men had numerous different talismans on display.  Shoppers would stop and get into very serious conversations about which they should buy.
There was durian - which smells absolutely horrendous but actually tastes pretty good.
The big prickly green fruits are pretty intimidating.  The vendor cuts them open with a machete, and pulls out the big fruit-covered sees.  Those are the yellow things on the styrofoam trays in the front.
Box after box of dried mushrooms...

Even a whole table full of dried squid!
I passed on the squid.

7 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

You're totally reminding me of Filipino markets - lots of the same items in the stalls and that distinct smell I miss. lol

That Girl said...

Fun pictures! I forgot the Chinese New Year is this weekend!

Maria said...

What a fun place! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Dried squid, huh? That's something I've never seen at the grocery store before for sure! :)

I wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for an award! You can pick it up at: http://www.runplaycook.com/?p=350

Rebel said...

Yeah... dried squid is quite popular here, as are fried insects. I ate some grilled squid, and squid in my soup... but can't quite get the nerve to try it dry. Oh... and I"m not at all interested in the bugs.... not.at.all.

Love the pictures!

Jaime said...

hahaha. i can't stand durian! you are so brave to try it :)

deLa said...

is that the fruit that made andrew zimmern hurl??