Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Turkey Meatballs

My first attempt at making meatballs was a total disaster.  As soon as I put them in the pan, they all fell apart and I felt completely defeated.  This time around, I used a Joy of Cooking recipe (using ground turkey rather than ground beef), and they were delicious.  I left out tomato paste because I didn't have any.

(adapted from Joy of Cooking)
1 pound ground turkey
1 garlic clove, mixed
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano or Italian herb blend
2 tbsp olive oill
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup Marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 375
Mix all ingredients well, except oil, flour and Marinara.
Form into 2" balls, and dredge in flour.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan.
Brown the meatballs, turning while cooking.
Place in a baking dish and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Warm the marinara in a sauce pan, and add to the cooked meatballs, stirring gently, to serve.

7 comments:

Mrs. Ashworth said...

Yummmy! I love turkey meatballs!

KMAYS said...

Ooo, those look so good.

Steph said...

The first time I made meatballs was a total disaster too. I didn't know I had to pan fry them first and just threw them in the spaghetti sauce, which of course crumbled. Your turkey meatballs look really nicely browned.

Ali (a.k.a. Cynical Nymph) said...

Sometimes I put mine in the oven (or broiler, or toaster oven) instead of the pan. Of course, then only one side gets brown, unless you turn them. I love this recipe! The Joy of Cooking is like my bibl.e

Adam said...

The turkey meatballs look really nice, and it's great to see them as a healthy alternative :)

Nice site you have here, I like your take on the recipes. I'll be back to check you out.

That Girl said...

I've had meatball failures and meatball successes. I completely believe it depends on the recipe.

Jaime said...

sorry your first attempt didn't work, but these look great! you should try the one in my blog - you can throw them in a red sauce, or try the sweet/sour version :)
http://www.goodeatsblog.com/2008/01/sweet-and-sour-meatballs.html