Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fun snacks

WARNING: There are photos of insect consumption in this post. If you have a weak stomach, move on!

I probably mention in every post that I love all the food options here - the carts are plentiful and cheap, and there are always new things to try.

When I saw the insect stand at the market, I was excited. I'd already been initiated into the bug-eating club with those grubs the other day, so the only tough part here was narrowing down which to try next.

Like these:

Or these (by the way, I thought mackerel was fish...):
Or these:
Oh hello there, grasshopper!  I decided on these, because the Japanese man who was next in line told me they were his favorite.  He looked like someone who knew his (edible) insects, so I trusted his judgement.
The grasshoppers were nice and crunchy - excellent sprinkled with a dash of soy sauce. The only tricky part is their hind legs. They have little spikes on them that can get caught in your throat if you don't chew them completely.
I think next time, I'm going to try the crickets!

6 comments:

BMK said...

You are very brave!

Kira said...

Wow, you are much braver than I would be! I'm so impressed.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Well... It's a... umm... cheap way to get some protein!

Steph said...

Cate, you are the coolest!!

Rebel said...

Not.gonna.do.it. Nope!


If you get hungry later, there's a giant cockroach in my apartment, probably taste pretty good with some naam pblah. ;)

That Girl said...

I don't think eating insects is necessarily weird, but I don't know that I could do it. I like my food to not look like the animal it came from. Except goldfish crackers.