Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mushroom-Miso Soba Bowls

For me, comfort food takes many forms.  I will happily dig into a huge bowl of macaroni and cheese, or I could just as easily be delighted with a bowl of miso soup.  This dinner is a nice compromise, with the hearty soba noodles, earthy flavor of miso and shiitake mushrooms, and freshness of green onions and bok choy.  It's simple, vegetarian, and perfect for a crisp Fall evening.

(adapted from The Healthy Headonist by Myra Kornfeld)
a handful of dried shiitake mushrooms (use more if you want a stronger mushroom flavor)
3 cups boiling water
2 tbsp dark miso
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound brown button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce
6 ounces soba noodles
3 bunches baby bok choy, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cooked, shelled edamame
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 sheet nori, toasted and cut into thin strips

Pour boiling water over mushrooms and let sit for at least half an hour.
Drain mushrooms and reserve all the soaking liquid.  Chop the mushrooms.
Mix 1/2 cup mushroom liquid with the miso in a small bowl and set aside.
Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil, and cook the soba noodles.  Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok and add the ginger and garlic.
Stir-fry one minute, then add the bok choy and both fresh and soaked mushrooms.  Pour in the soy sauce and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
Add the bok choy, edamame, and mushroom liquid to the skillet.  Cook for about 4 minutes.
Add the soba and miso mixture and cook for another 3 minutes.
Put noodles into bowls, ladle some broth over them, and garnish with green onions and nori.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! Cate, this looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it. A big bowl of noodles is definitely comfort food! I love soba.

Anonymous said...

Like Katie (hahaha) I LOOOVE soba! This looks great!

Anonymous said...

aww this remind me of a dish I ate in Japan! This is definitely comfort food for me! Oh, and I don't know if you saw my response earlier, but when you went to shopper's corner last weekend you were right in my neighborhood! I walk there almost every day :)

That Girl said...

Now soba is near and dear to my heart.

Anonymous said...

That looks sooo goood! I've got all the ingredients right now except for the mushrooms! So it will have to wait until tomorrow. Yum!