Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Healthier banana bread

The chocolate-laden banana bread I made on Sunday was quite a treat, but today I wanted a healthy way to use the remaining brown bananas sitting on my kitchen counter.
This recipe uses nonfat plain yogurt, half whole wheat flour, and just one egg.  While I wouldn't say it is completely healthy (there is still a fair amount of sugar), it is definitely a bit better for you than your average banana bread.  I also love that the recipe comes together in one bowl, so dishes are kept to a minimum.

1 cup mashed bananas (I used 3)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 5" loaf pan
Mash the bananas in a medium bowl, and stir in the sugars.

Add the yogurt, vanilla, and egg and mix well.

Add both types of flour, salt, and baking powder, and stir just until the flour disappears.  
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then slice and enjoy!


1 comment:

Linds said...

I am so excited to try this recipe. I love banana bread but know that my heart and waist would appreciate a healthier version. I cant wait to try this!