Saturday, July 19, 2008

Farmers Market Salad with Mustard Tarragon Dressing


In my quest to make better salads, I decided to branch out in the ingredients I typically use.  I feel incredibly lucky to live in a town surrounded by farms, with two amazing farmers markets every week.  Last night I picked up a panoply of different vegetables, and I wanted to use those for a salad.  For the dressing, I took a break from my typical salt-pepper-balsamic-olive oil mix, and used white wine vinegar, and a few things I found on my spice rack.  

Salad: 
4 cups sliced green leaf lettuce
1/4 cup sliced red cabbage
1/4 cup sliced red onion
2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup sliced sugar snap peas

Dressing:
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
1 tsp finely chopped shallot
pinch salt
pinch pepper
6 tbsp olive oil

Toss together vegetables.
Whisk together vinegar through pepper, then gradually add olive oil, whisking constantly.
Add to salad gradually, tossing several times (not all the dressing will be used).
Toss well, and serve

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Your salad & dressing looks great! I prefer making my own dressing and just using whatever is on hand... it's surprisingly easier and better tasting!