Friday, June 27, 2008

Recipe Exchange: Lemon Jelly Dessert


When this recipe showed up in my Inbox, I really didn't know what to think.  Lemon Jell-O? I mean I do enjoy Jell-O on occasion, but I don't think I've ever made lemon.  Evaporated milk, whipped?  Why wouldn't you just use cream?  

Doubts aside, I went ahead and made it because I didn't want to flake out on the recipe exchange.  And........It's amazing!  So much more than the sum of its parts, this dessert has a bright citrus flavor and a unique but satisfying texture, almost like extra-dense cappuccino foam that melts in your mouth.  Also, the graham cracker crust... I can't turn down any dessert with a graham cracker crust!  I would definitely make it again.

[from Company's Coming No-Bake Desserts]

About 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 3 oz box of lemon-flavored Jell-O
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 12 oz can evaporated milk, chilled in the freezer for about 2 hours
1 cup granulated sugar
juice of one lemon

Sprinkle most of the graham cracker crumbs over the bottom of an un-greased 13x9 pan. 
Dissolve the Jell-O in boiling water, and stir in cold water.  Chill until syrupy.
Beat the chilled evaporated milk until soft peaks form.  Add the sugar and lemon juice, and beat again until quite stiff.  Beat in thickened gelatin.  
Pour into the pan (on top of the crumbs) and smooth the top.  Sprinkle with the remaining crumbs and chill until firm.








5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! That looks great! I'm glad you enjoyed your recipe from the exchange :)

That Girl said...

Jello must equal summer! My exchange recipe is a jello based dessert too!

Anonymous said...

If I can make lime jello salad (yes, the kind with cottage cheese and pineapple tidbits), I can make this!

Anonymous said...

My gosh that sounds good and I am not even a huge fan of lemon!!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm a true Jello-aholic I confess.